Saturday 13 August 2011

insect, plant and animal life and Oakley Creek

Auckland Regional Council has a very useful document downloadable as a pdf from their website called 'Stream Classification and Instream Objectives for Auckland’s Urban Streams.' From it I have been able to find specific information on Oakley Creek.


For example, I have learnt that the only fish-life recorded at Oakley creek are the long and short-finned eels (although the long finned are short). There is also a list of very specific plant, mollusc and insect life found, and how many that will need further investigation. If I become familiar with what I might expect along Oakley Creek I will have a better chance at finding and  identifying them. 


From this research I have also gained knowledge of different canopy types, and riparian zone types. Whether plant-life is native or exotic will be important to identify. 


No comments:

Post a Comment