Saturday 13 August 2011

mapping Oakley Creek

Mapping Oakley Creek turned out to be quite difficult! The Linz website didn't have accurate data, so I had to use a combination of the data I could find and google maps... (see map 1 below). I identified 8 zones which are points of change in the creek's 'story',  something I think is manageable. However...




Then I came across the Morphum website, a consultant employed by Metrowater to report on and map Oakley creek more accurately (they found a total of 37 assets were recorded as having incorrect data in the Metrowater GIS records and a further 91 not recorded in the GIS system). I altered my map accordingly (map 2), and discovered more areas of interest, places where the creek runs a different direction for some time, or appears and disappears under the land. I may have to re-examine my points of interest (they currently are at 18), a number I think is too large if I intend to go back at different times. Morphum also mapped 17 restoration opportunities (shown as green areas), and overland flow (dashed lines).



No comments:

Post a Comment