Saturday 13 August 2011

Oakley Creek: my 'site'?

Today I decided to find out more about the creek I used to run along (before I moved flats). I only knew that it as a creek that stretched along the side of the Mt Roskill War Memorial park, and now I know it is Oakley Creek, where it comes from and where it goes.  


Oakley Creek has been amid recent debate, due to the proposed Waterview connection. It has an organization called  'Friends of Oakley Creek' which envisions 'Oakley Creek - Te Auaunga and its environs restored and protected as a natural ecosystem incorporating a range of wildlife habitats, indigenous species and recreational amenities for present and future generations' (http://www.oakleycreek.org.nz/aboutus.htm).


It is considered the 'most natural' water-way left in urban Auckland, and has Auckland's only urban waterfall (just near Unitec). This creek definitely seems like it has a story to tell, and I would like to tell it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment