Tuesday 9 August 2011

list of water-type things I could document

soil type
waterflow
salinity
stream edge/overflow area
things found (insects, fish, plants, pollution or rubbish?)
sediment
width of channel
length of stream
temporary streams ("ephemeral stream")
canopy type
temperature
depth


how might two or more of these be documented in relation to each other to talk about that water's story? Could I map, for example, several stream's depths in different rainfall conditions, and what I find there?




Another type of story? Progression/ travel:
Waitemata Harbour -> Orakei Basin -> Omaru Creek -> Taranaki River-> Panmure Basin -> Pakuranga Creek.


A website I found interesting talks about different spatial scales of rivers and streams, the flows between source and mouth (http://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/rivers-and-streams-life-in-flowing-water-16819919). Biological community changes along the length of rivers, due to changes in oxygen level which relates to the speed of water flow, temperature, depth, debris and canopy-type. These factors are all very interrelated, and I'm beginning to think about how to document these (information-collection and visual communication). I'm still not sure what kind of data I will be collecting, but I am sure I want to collect it at certain intervals along a body of water. This way I can communicate the story of a water body and its changes as it travels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment